Coconut Macaroons (makes 2-½ dozen)
3 cups of shredded, unsweetened coconut
1-1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch
¾ cups of sugar (use less, if you prefer)
3 egg whites
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
4 oz. of bittersweet chocolate, broken up*
1. Heat oven to 350°.
2. Mix coconut, cornstarch, sugar, egg whites and vanilla in a heat-proof bowl.
3. Place bowl over a pot of boiling water (or use a double-boiler, if you’ve got one.) Stir until the mixture gets thick…about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Place a bit less than a tablespoon of the mixture on an ungreased cookie sheet (note: I find it easier to line the cookie sheets with parchment paper.)
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden but still soft and chewy. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
6. Melt chocolate in a small, microwave-safe bowl (not plastic) by nuking on high for 1 minute (adjust for your wattage.) Stir until smooth. Heat a little more if needed. Carefully dip bottoms of macaroons into the chocolate, and let excess drip back into the bowl. Place on a wax-paper lined (cool) baking sheet and put in fridge to set.
*Use the best quality chocolate that fits your budget. It makes a difference!